Monday, June 18, 2012

Key West Style

Key West Checklist
  • Photo taken in front of Southernmost Point
  • Hemingway House
  • Drink at Capt. Tony's
  • Trolley Tour of Famous Places
  • Drink at Sloppy Joe's
  • Lunch (alcohol) at the Original  Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville
  • Aquarium/Shipwreck Museum/Lighthouse
  • Drink at Finnegan's Wake
  • Sunset at Malory Square
  • Dinner (more alcohol) at Roof Top Cafe
  • Ghost Tour
  • The Duval Crawl

You can do it all in one day, I promise.
Did you finish your checklist?  
Good.  Hopefully you have another day in Key West...


Now that you have "done" Key West and can share your experience with everyone else, I hope you'll take the next morning to really see Key West.  Don't get me wrong, everyone should experience Key West and see all the tourist trappings, engage in a little debauchery, and the food and drinks are really good.  That's just not all you should remember from Key West.

Here's your day two morning checklist...

Key West Style Checklist

  • Wake up early (before 7am)
  • Find the intersection of Fleming and Duval (Near Margaritaville from lunch yesterday)
  • Head NE on Fleming.  Once your past Elizabeth St., look around.  Take pictures.  Lots of pictures.
  • Notice the gardens, fences and home details on Fleming.  Don't miss the little white house by Love Ln.
  • Window shop the Fleming Street Gallery.  You'll come back and buy something... but do it later.
  • Take a right on Margaret.  
  • Spot the two story colonial with the black shutters.  See the tiled porch.
  • Note location of Mangia-Mangia, that's where you'll have dinner later.
  • Don't miss the smaller homes (1bed/1bath), they have tons of character.
  • Keep an eye out on the left for the unpainted cabin home with some funky fixtures.
  • At the end of Margaret, plan on spending two hours taking photos in the graveyard. 
    • (more on this in a future post, so check back)
  • By now, it should be around noon.  You drank heavy the night before, so stop for lunch.
    • Seven Fish is just down the road and is supposed to be awesome
    • Sweet Tea's is great, but if you're headed there, bring a snack.  It's another thirty minute hike.











And, if you want to really have something to remember it all by, find something local.  
The artists are amazing.  The craftsmen are unreal.  The antique stores are wild!

If you can't make it to Key West, but would like to recreate the look, check out some of these awesome pieces and get the Key West style in your home. Just click the descriptions to see for yourself.
vintage Suitcase
Milking Stool

Chalkboard Frame


Brass Compass




To find more like these, click here



9 comments:

The Inspired Trader said...

I've never been to the Keys and always wanted to go. For now I'll just have to live vicariously through your wonderful post!

Mothra Sue said...

This is such an awesome guide to the Keys! I've only been there once long ago and would love to go back! I think we rented bikes and rode around, but my memory could be going. :)

Unknown said...

wonderful job...
the Keys are such a great place to visit. I'm planning our retirement there.

Unknown said...

Ahh the memories :) Had several drinks at Sloppy Joes, took a tour of the Hemingway house (it must have been 105 out that day), had my fortune read at Mallory Square at sunset, and had my picture taken at the Southern Most Point. If you get a chance make sure you try Hogfish and go to La Te Da!

Unknown said...

It's been years since I've been to the Keys! One of my absolute favorite places. Thanks for the memories!

Whimzy Thyme said...

Fantastic! Definitely a destination I must add to my list. Reminds of New Orleans.

Unknown said...

So fun to read this! Since I'm pretty far from Key West, I think I'll just take that checklist and, after some minor changes, apply it to a favorite haunt out West... at least until I can make the trip to Florida!

HilltopTimes said...

Now I really love the Keys. Now I really love the local landscape and goods. This place is in my "get there soon" file! Thanks so much for sharing.
Hilltoptimes

Unknown said...

This actually makes me sad :( I would love to be in the keys right now. Something to keep working for! Love the blog post, love the blog, love the team. keep up the awesome work!

chrissy
wretchedshekels

Post a Comment