Monday, June 3, 2013

In The Garden of EVE



The Secret Hideaway - By Amanda of D n' A Riser

Organic Sunflower Seeds - TheLittleRagamuffin

As May moves past us and we step into June, the gardens we have diligently planted and watered are sprouting forth. The anticipation for fresh vegetables and fruits is enticing, and the excitement to pick the first ‘fruits’ of our labor grows. The focus, though, is not just on what our gardens will produce but also the fun that can come from growing plants from seed to maturity.

As a future teacher for elementary students and a child at heart, I am constantly looking for ways to excite my future students when it comes to nature and gardening. How many have heard of sunflower houses? Cozy and secure, these giant flowers can become a place of safety and secrecy for any kid, young or old.

As a child, I remember going to my cousin’s house where a small garden grew. It was here that my love for sunflowers blossomed and the discovery of a secret hideaway was found. The tall, giant flowers stood high and concealed me from the world as I snuggled in the dirt to read my next mystery book.
From Left to Right - Moonlight Micro Farm - Claire81400 - Jacquelyn Vaccaro

I go back to this feeling of comfort and realize this is a perfect activity for students or kids. It gives kids a chance to see their work come to life before their eyes and then explore the secret hideaway they created.

It is not too late for planting some last minute seeds and create this wonderful little house that can be enjoyed for the summer to come.


RubyLaneVintage
 “My summer home is the fairest of all,
With a morning glory roof and sunflower walls!”
-Lovejoy

Directions for a Sunflower House:

1. Get a variety of seeds for sunflowers ranging in size, color, and height.
2. Pick a spot for your future sunflower house that is in a spot that will get a lot of sun.
3. Dig out the shape of your house. It can be a square or a circle. Leave a gap for the entrance.
4. Plant and water as directed.
5. Enjoy!

8 comments:

HilltopTimes said...

This post is my garden today, such a special Eve garden. Let our garden sunflowers flourish!Love reading your story. Lovely, lovely, many thanks!

ReconGirl said...

What a fantastic idea!!

Whimzy Thyme said...

Fantastic post -- thank you!

Moonchild Vintage said...

Love this!! I am excited about my own garden so much!

Jen said...

I want to LIVE there! :)

Rambling Vintage Gypsy said...

VERY inspiring!

Wicked Darling said...

This is wonderful, Amanda! Sunflowers are my favs! Thanks for posting this! :)

Unknown said...

Who doesn't love the glorious Sunflower! Wonderful Amanda!

Post a Comment